Monday, June 27, 2011

Fresh Veggies, Well Baby Veggies

I posted a few days ago that I finally had some produce in the garden. While it's going to be a while before it's ready to eat, I'm excited to see some growth. The proof is in the pictures.

On the right is a teeny tiny pepper. I'm not sure of the variety. It's probably some kind of hot pepper, but not a jalapeno. I started this plant in my areo garden because I had a few seeds left over and a seed pod that never grew anything taking up space. I wasn't sure the plant was going to make the move from the hydroponic system to the real dirt in the group, but it did and it's my first to produce.

On the left is my single tomato. Still green, but growing. This tomato looks strong. I hope more show up on my plants.

My parents have been harvesting cucumbers. I also had a fresh radish from their garden yesterday. It was so hot or sour or tart. I'm not sure the taste description you give a radish, but it was delicious.

So far, other than a few little cabbage worms on my broccoli, we've been keeping the pests away. Yesterday I learned of a new threat to the garden: neighborhood kids. They aren't pests, but they are curious, and they are not afraid to ask if they can have my fresh food. As long as they keep asking that's fine, but I don't want anyone stealing from my garden.

No comments: