Sunday, June 26, 2011

Rhubarb Strawberry Cobbler

I read this post by The Pioneer Woman and decided I had to try this Rhubarb cobbler. I picked up rhubarb at the City Market from a farmer who could measure a pound better than the scale and took it home to chop and bake.

At my husbands request (and because I bought some VERY ripe strawberries) I modified the recipe to be a rhubarb, strawberry cobbler. It turned out really good. It had a little crunch from the rhubarb. I reduced the sugar because of the strawberries and that kept the sweetness at the right level.

Also, it was pink and who doesn't love to eat pink food. In this picture you can see the beautiful pinkness secured into place by the delightful cobbler.

Of course to serve this treat in style, I had to make some homemade whipped cream. Now I'm not saying that my whipped cream is the best out there, but I've gotten the routine down to culinary science. The secret... put everything in the freezer for about 15 minutes before you start, and use a metal bowl. The metal bowl gets cold fast and stays cold. For some reason the cold really helps the cream to peak and thicken.

Dinner is off to a late start, which isn't surprising when there is so much to do around the house and the weather is so nice to get it done, so to ward off starvation we opted for dessert first!

No comments: